Andrew Dong, Age 13
Schools: Eighth-grader at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School in Palo Alto and Young Genius Bay Area Speech and Debate Academy in Los Gatos, Saratoga and Fremont.
- First place in Lincoln Douglass debate at Harker School Speech and Debate Tournament, December 2013
- Second place in impromptu speech at Harker School Speech and Debate Tournament, December 2013
- Fifth place overall speaker in Lincoln Douglass debate at Harker School Speech and Debate Tournament, December 2013
- Octofinalist (also fourth speaker overall) in Lincoln Douglass debate at Dempsey-Cronin Invitational Santa Clara University High School Speech and Debate Tournament, October 2013
- JLS Middle School basketball A team player, 2013
- Straight-A student on the honor roll at Stratford Middle School, 2011, 2012
- Outstanding Performance Award in SSAT tests, 2011
Key to Awesomeness:
Andrew started his speech and debate career in the sixth-grade. However, he truly began to shine shortly after he joined the Young Genius Speech and Debate Program, according to Young Genius Bay Area Speech and Debate Academy owner Helen Heinsohn.
“While Andrew has been at Young Genius for a few months he has made some amazing accomplishments,” Heinsohn said.
He won the latest Lincoln Douglas debate championship and also placed second in his very first Impromptu Speech competition, Heinsohn added.
Andrew is also an enthusiastic athlete. Standing 6 feet tall, he plays basketball for the JLS middle school A team and trains everyday, according to Heinsohn.
He is also a competitive swimmer, runner and martial artist, she said. He also likes reading and playing the piano.
“Courage, dedication, patience, team work, respect, thinking skills and even a sense of humor … These are the characteristics that are the drive behind everything he does,” said Heinsohn.
Know an outstanding youth, sports team, school club or any accomplished young citizen who is deserving of this mini-profile honor? Send you nominations to email@example.com.