Laura Casas Frier, Betsy Bechtel and Joan Barram won seats Tuesday night on the Foothill-De Anza Community College District Board of Directors.
All four responded to a Patch questionnaire about their qualifications. You will find a link to their responses by clicking on each name.
Los Altos Editor L.A. Chung put together a live blog article the afternoon of September 30 when the candidates gathered at the Los Altos library. You can read her blog post with this link.
Here is additional information about the candidates provided by smartvoter.org:
Laura Casas Frier
- Occupation: Governing Board Member, Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Geby E. Espinosa
- Occupation: Small Business Owner
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Board member, Foothill-De Anza, 9 years
- Two terms as President of Board of Trustees
- Former Board member, Borel Private Bank, member of the Audit Committee
- Former Palo Alto City Council member, 9 years, Mayor and Vice Mayor
- Former Vice President, Citibank and J.P. Morgan
- Education: BA, MA, Stanford University
- Focus on wisely balancing the budget and still ensure that students succeed in meeting their goals.
- Focus on the colleges' mission of transfer to four-year colleges and vocational training.
- Ensure that students have access to excellent academic programs taught by quality teachers.
- Occupation: Appointed Incumbent
- President, Foothill-De Anza Board of Trustees
- Co-founder of the Women of Silicon Valley Donor Circle
- Former Cupertino Union School Board member and President
- CA School Boards Association Delegate Assembly member 1989-93
- Former President of Ed Source Board of Directors
- BA Biology, Wheaton College
- Student Success - help students transfer to UC or CSU or train for a good job.
- Fiscal stability - prioritize and economize to maintain high quality programs and state-of-the-art facilities.
- Innovation - use new technologies, on-line education, collaborative learning, sustainable practices and civic engagement to foster success.
Results226 of 226 Precincts Reporting (100%) Votes Percentage Foothill-De Anza Comm College District Board
Joan Barram* 43,274 25.11% Betsy Bechtel* 48,691 28.25% Laura Casas Frier 58,939 34.20% Geby E. Espinosa 21,440 12.44% *indicates incumbent