Jan. 28, 2013
Monday was notable, if only because there was little else on the Los Altos Police log except small thefts. Most eye-catching was the wave of smash-and-grab burglaries that rippled through the Springwood Apartments in south Los Altos.
All five auto burglaries were accomplished by breaking the windows, according to Los Altos Police Sgt. Cameron Shearer. The cars were parked in the above-ground parking areas of the complex. Burglars took a GPS, iPod, car stereo, speakers and miscellaneous items. Shearer estimates it could be up to a $1,000 total loss.
For good measure, there was a theft from an unlocked vehicle in north Los Altos (tsk-tsk). And then there was the skateboard theft. Read on.
- 7:58 a.m., 2250 Homestead Court; burglary, auto, cold report, report taken
- 8:11 a.m., 2230 Homestad Court; burglary, auto, cold report
- 8:12 a.m., 2220 Homestead Court; burglary, auto, cold report, report taken
- 8:13 a.m., 2250 Homestead Court; burglary, auto, cold report, report taken
- 8:15 a.m., 2240 Homestead Court; burglary, auto, cold report, report taken
- 8:35 a.m., 551 Hawthorne Ave; theft from an unlocked vehicle
- 10:34 a.m., 521 Alicia Way; theft, undefined, cold report. Sgt. Shearer said two UPS packages were taken from the front of the victim’s house. The value is approximately $400.
- 3:23 p.m., 1330 Concord Ave., petty theft, just occurred. Sgt. Shearer said the suspect took a $300 skateboard while at the home to buy something off of a Craigslist ad. The victim apparently left the room and the suspect fled in a green Mustang.
- 9:24 a.m., 5000 block of El Camino Real; subject causing a disturbance, officers responded, gone on arrival