Feb. 26, 2013
In the string of the usual reports of suspicious circumstances that make up daily police calls in Los Altos, one mystery report stands out. This is the case of the suddenly shattering car window on Tuesday.
Police Sgt. Neal Randles said a resident was driving westbound on Homestead Road shortly before 2 p.m. At the intersection Fallen Leaf Lane, the driver’s side window suddenly shattered. The driver sustained minor scratches on her face, but refused paramedics' help, he said. Police responding to the scene checked the car for signs of bb pellets or a rock from a sling shot, both of which are capable of shattering a window. Officer could find nothing in the interior of the car, however.
It remains, as the log notes, "no apparent crime." While there is such a thing as spontaneous combustion, Randles said he doesn't think there is such a thing as spontaneous window shattering.
- 10:39 a.m., 157 Main Street; theft of planter pots from the rear of the business. The reporting party is requesting drive-by patrol checks, reporting party does not want a report or police contact. Sgt. Neal Randles said three red planters with flowers in them had been taken from Stuart’s Apparel’s rear entrance.
Suspicious Person / Circumstances
- 11:11 a.m., Almond Avenue and Higgins Avenue; suspicious persons, police responded, information only
- 1:58 p.m., Homestead Road and Fallen Leaf Lane; suspicious circumstances, officer made contact and determined it not to be an apparent crime, assistance rendered.
- 2:34 p.m., 100 block of Galli Drive; suspicious circumstances, suspicious damage to a vehicle that was parked in front of the home. Officer responded and a report was taken. Sgt. Randles said the owner returned from a vacation and suspects the house-sitter or friend had taken the car for a ride and damaged it.
- 11:32 a.m., 1400 block of Brookmill Drive; Municipal code complaint, officers responded by helping resident communicate with owner of parked car about blocked mailbox and storage container.
Health & Safety code
- 12:37 p.m., Alvarado Avenue & Los Niños Way; report of drug activity, officers responded and made contact, information only
- 5:20 pm., 911, El Camino Real and Distel Drive; vehicle vs. bicyclist, bicyclist refused a report, assistance rendered
- 4:04 a.m., Feb. 27, Foothill Crossing, 2310 Homestead Road; commercial burglary alarm, officers checked premises, no sign of break in, possible alarm malfunction