An Accident at Bus Barn Theater Sends One to the Hospital, Live Wires on Fire in the Roadway, and More

Incidents from the Los Altos Police log, from May 4-10.


Here’s a tip – if you’re going to engage in “suspicious behavior” – otherwise known as “taking drugs,” and we honestly hope you don’t – perhaps you shouldn’t do it in a car parked in the parking lot of a grocery store, in broad daylight, for all the world to see. I mean, unless you want to get arrested, that is.


On Friday just before 1 p.m., police received a complaint from the 900 block of Oxford Street of water running down the street. Officers responded, but found the amount of water and the reason for it being in the road to be innocent enough, and that no violation had been committed. No report was taken.

A night at the theater turned scary May 4, when police and paramedics were called to the at 97 Hillview Ave. around 7:49 p.m. Friday for a public accident. About 25 minutes before the curtain rose on the "Government Inspector" a woman walking up the steps to Row C unexpectedly collapsed and fell backwards, hitting her head on the floor. She had recently had knee replacement surgery, said theater Artistic Director Barbara Cannon.

"It was scary, because her friends with her said she blacked out, but she came to quickly," Cannon said. The person was transported to Stanford Hospital when she said she wanted to go to the hospital, but police believed the injuries were not too serious, since she later called the police to see about retrieving her vehicle, which had been left at the scene. Fortunately, said Bus Barn president Vicki Reeder, the theater had recently updated all its emergency procedures following a 2011 incident when a patron had a seizure during the performance of "A Dog Named Sylvia."

Later Friday night, police officers were called to the at 4320 El Camino Real on a report of a disturbance. A subject – possibly a transient – was causing a scene in the lobby and refusing to leave. Officers responded and mediated the situation, and convinced the subject to leave.

On Saturday evening, May 5, officers were called to a gas station in the 900 block of N. San Antonio Road on a report of disturbing the peace. Apparently, someone was in a loud argument with the gas station clerk about money one supposedly owed the other for cigarettes. Officers responded and mediated the situation.

On Sunday morning, May 6, one resident of the 1000 block of Oak Drive woke up to a nasty surprise – that his or her car had been egged overnight. The resident called police to report the malicious mischief, but in the end decided that, since no real damage had been done to the vehicle other than making it very messy, he or she would not file an official report. However, the resident did ask that police make regular patrol checks of the street from time to time, which officers agreed to.

Also on Sunday, officers were busy dealing with a few calls of sewers backing up around the city. The first report came in from the 600 block of Berry Avenue around noon on Sunday. The second came from the 2000 block of Deodara Drive. In both instances, officers notified the City’s municipal services to correct the matter.

On Monday afternoon, just after 4 p.m., officers spotted a vehicle parked outside the grocery store on Grant Road, with occupants inside, engaging in what appeared to be suspicious behavior. Officers approached the vehicle, and the occupants agreed to let the officer search the car. In the end, officers ended up arresting one of the occupants of the vehicle for being under the influence of a controlled substance.

Around 7:45 p.m., police received a call from a concerned citizen, reporting a possible drunk driver in the area of St. Matthew Way and Stonehaven Drive. The citizen provided such a good description of the car that the officers who responded were able to locate the car, still in the area. However, in an unexpected twist, it turned out the driver wasn’t intoxicated after all. No report was taken.

Police had a brief scare Tuesday morning when a commercial “hold-up” alarm sounded for the MetroPCS store at 4700 El Camino Real. As officers hurried over to the store, a bashful employee called them off, stating he had made an error when attempting to turn off the alarm.

Later that morning, around 11:40, employees of at 4856 El Camino Real called to report grand theft. Sometime overnight, an unknown suspect or suspects broke into a storage shed and a van used for the business, and stole valuable clock parts and tools. So far, police have no suspects.

Police made their first arrest around 12:30 that afternoon when, during a routine traffic stop, they caught someone driving on a suspended license. A citation arrest was issued.

A very scared person called the Los Altos Police around 1:30 Tuesday afternoon. The person and saw a man with a gun in the adjacent yard of a home on the 1700 block of Marshall Court. Officers rushed to the scene, only to discover someone was having a little fun with a paintball gun. Phew!

Just before 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, a report came in that live electrical wires were down and on fire in the 200 block of Third Street. Both police and fire units responded to get the fire put out and direct traffic around the incident until it could be cleared.

Continuing down the log for Los Altos Police’s busy Tuesday, police received a call from a female around 3 p.m. who needed to report petty theft – the woman believes her wallet was stolen sometime between 7 a.m. and noon, possibly from her hotel room in the 4000 block of El Camino Real. Police took a report.

In another reported theft from , a local family called the police Wednesday, May 9, to report that their daughter – a student at the school – had her iPhone stolen out of her backpack sometime between 12 and 1 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, which is considered petty theft. Police took a report.

Early Thursday morning, May 10, officers were called to a home in the 600 block of Hollingsworth Drive on a report of a disturbance – a loud argument between a mother and her son.Police remarked that they have been called to this home on disturbances many times before. As usual, police helped mediate the situation and both parties went on their way.


The information in this police log was supplied by the Los Altos Police Department. Where arrests are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.

For questions about this police log, e-mail Los Altos Patch Editor L.A. Chung at lachung@patch.com


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »