These were among the week's top stories:
- Postage Increases Take Effect
- The U.S. Postal Service raised the price of a first class postage stamp to 49 cents. The 3-cent increase took place on Sunday, Jan. 26.
- Flu Deaths Rise to 8 in County
- Within the last two weeks, a 58-year old woman and a 43-year old man died of H1N1 in Santa Clara County.
- Good News for Unemployment Figures in Los Altos
- The unemployment rate fell in both Santa Clara County and the state.
- Mobile App Designed by LAHS Students Wins Award
- The app was created as part of a Verizon Innovative App Challenge educational competition and was designed to assist music students learn their material.
- Grant ‘Twiggy’ Baker Wins Mavericks Surf Event
- Grant Baker from South Africa claimed the top prize in this year’s Mavericks Surf Event held Friday, Jan. 24. Shane Dorian from Hawaii placed second, and Ryan Augenstein of Santa Cruz finished third.
- Benefit Screening of ‘DOCUMENTED’ Coming to Los Altos
- Autobiographical film by former New York Times writer Jose Antonio Vargas follows his life as an undocumented immigrant and immigration reform activist.
- Revitalization Expert to Speak in Los Altos
- As part of the Los Altos Forward “Community Conversation” lecture program, Fred Kent will discuss the concept of building communities around public spaces on Monday, Jan. 27.
Sign up for the free Los Altos Patch newsletter | Like Los Altos Patch on Facebook | Follow LosAltosPatch on Twitter | Blog on Los Altos Patch