Are you and your family prepared to deal with the aftermath of a major earthquake, wildfire or other disaster?
Residents are expected to be self-sufficient for 72-hours following a disaster. Can you shut-off the natural gas at your home? Do you have enough food and water on hand for every member of your family?
A Personal Emergency Preparedness course designed to prepare you to cope in the event of a disaster will be held next month. The classes are free.
In Los Altos Hills it will be held on Saturday, Oct. 5, 9 a.m. -1 p.m. and Monday, Oct. 7, 6 - 9:30 p.m.
In Los Altos it will be held Tuesday, Oct. 8, 9 a.m. – noon.
Topics to be covered include:
- The impact of an area-wide disaster for individuals and community
- Workplace and home safety
- Earthquake emergency supplies to have available
- What to do when your phones don't work-how to contact your family members
- When and how to turn off gas, electrical and water
- Fire safety and how to use a fire extinguisher
- Household hazardous materials