It's coming this weekend and you won't want to miss it. The annual Festival of Lights parade in downtown Los Altos is happening Sunday night at 6pm.
It's been a tradition in town since for 34 years and this time around promises to be spectacular. Click here for more information on the parade, its history and the sponsors.
There's no denying it; we have officially entered the holiday season in all its glory. We've listed tree lightings in Los Altos, and surrounding towns are gearing up to host their official tree lighting ceremonies, too. Shopping centers, that function a bit like town squares, are also getting festive. Stanford Shopping Center gets things started with a tree lighting on Saturday, and have more activities that you can see below. So in addition to the Festival of Lights parade, you might want to consider some of these activities:
- Friday Dec. 3, attend the official downtown tree lighting ceremony at Main and State streets at 6 pm. Guests also can enjoy many children's games, hot drinks and family fun.
- Also Friday, Dec. 3, there's another tree lighting ceremony at Rancho Shopping Center. This event kicks off at 5:00pm and is followed by holiday music, treats and festivities. The next day, Saturday Dec. 4, the center will host its Holiday Hunt and Workshop at 11:30am.
- Sunday, Dec. 5 you can enjoy the Holiday Barn Lighting and other activities at Westwind Community Barn from 1 to 4pm. Spend the afternoon outdoors, sampling cookies and hot cider. Purchase a $10 wine glass and you can sip some wine while the kids enjoy games, craft tables, face painting, pony rides and a petting zoo. Los Altos Hills baseball hats will also be available for $25. Here's a breakdown of some of the activities:
- Local student groups will perform traditional carols and holiday music. Bring your camera as Santa will be available for your last-minute holiday wish list and tasty candy cane treats.
- Pacific Ridge Pony Club and 4-H students will demonstrate horse grooming and horse management skills and answer questions on how you can participate in their programs.
- The Los Altos Hills History Committee will have a Path and Road Dedication for both the Packard and Stegner Paths at 2pm. Both of these paths have been identified by new signs. Pathways Committee Member, Nich Dunckel will lead a hike from the Westwind Barn through the Stegner and Packard Paths and back to Westwind. Cake and drinks will be served after the dedication.
- The Barn will light up at 4:00 pm, when Santa will ride off into the sunset in true Hills style! Make this holiday season memorable and bring the whole family for a day in the Hills they will not forget.
There are also other festivies planned nearby. In case you are interested in soaking up as much holiday cheer as possible, consider these fun holiday events as well.
Menlo Park: You and your kids can enjoy Breakfast with Santa on Saturday, December from 7:30 to 11:30am at the Burgess Recreation Center at 700 Alma St.
Enjoy the pancake feast, visit with Santa and write a letter, to Santa, too. Children $5, Adults $7. Reservations are required.
Also, St. Patrick's Seminary invites the public to its tree lighting, Christmas carols and holiday confections, 5pm Monday, Nov. 29 at 350 Middlefield Road.
San Jose: Holiday Parade on December 5 at 8:30 am in downtown San Jose. For more info, check their website.
Stanford Shopping Center: Tree lighting with Holly Berry, the Holiday Fair and her singing and dancing holiday trees, 5-7pm Saturday, Nov. 27. The tree lighting ceremony will illuminate the entire Center. After the performance, follow the characters to the Center Pavilion for photos with Santa and refreshments. Look for them at the Clock Tower Plaza (near Neiman Marcus). Contact Guest Services for more details at (650) 617-8591.